From: JMC13 at mail3.cs.state.ny.us (Clairmont, Jan)
Subject: FW: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, he
	lp the cause

Definintely, windows out of the box is the least secure system I know.  Even
with protections in place DHCP, remains totally vulnerable to a local IP
attack.  Plus any msdos prompt can lead to the int 20 int 21 and anykind of
corruption on the system disk.  I just don't know how to effectively lock
down
a Windows systems without a firewall, and locally forget about it.

I have been hacking(ooops computing) for over 20 years, I have yet to be
challenged by a windows system for access. Some challenge for older UNIX
based systems.  A filtering router with a firewall pretty well negates
any outside intrusion, though there are always trojans and fake logins etc.
They can always bite you if the firewall policy is not set up properly.

There are personal firewalls for PC's and getting them is a necessity if you
want to remain on the internet for any length of time.  Unless you have no
public e-mail and just browse sesame street sites.  Even then you'll
mis-type and bye, bye!

So without anit-virus, port blocking personal firewalls, adware destroyers,
you might as well hang-up DOS.  But I use(at home) Linux(Redat 9) as my
firewall and do most of my browsing with non-java browsers, its too easy to
hang a system with JAVA, CGI or any other pluggins that control a system.
It's too easy still to make a mistake, like the army site or any other
hacker controlled web environment.   And who wants to be totally on guard
all the time.  I just want to relax and compute.  It drives me insane to
surf the junk out there, I still feel like I'm playing on the edge.  I teach
security and
Administration and I find stuff all the time from students and my own
personal finds.  Even with this stuff in place I still feel like a security
sieve.
Because I have to install new services etc all the time.

I have been fighting the security war for over 20 years and its getting
harder not easier.  Because the code gets bigger and less secure every year.
I can guarantee correctness on 20 lines of code maybe, but not 20,0000,000,
the vulnerabilities grow exponentially.  I have worked on Gauntlet, Pix,
Checkpoint, TIS, Alta Vista, NATO Seccurity, IDS'es, for NAI, IBM,
GE-Marconi, FTC, DOJ, CIA, DOC etc. etc. And it just keeps getting dicier.

Just compute smartly, I thnk safely impossible, something will run you over
eventually.

Jan Clairmont, Paladin of Security