From: Bart.Lansing at kohls.com (Bart.Lansing@...ls.com)
Subject: Anti-MS drivel

This perhaps needs some clarification.  My response to Tobias should in no
way be construed as an MS Apologista defending their record vis-a-vis
software design/secure coding.  Far from it.  It was, rather, an effort to
point out that  >>When a customer "makes a mistake" then it's not his own
but the vendor's<< does not even remotely survive the test of extending a
statement/arguement to even logical extremes.

When we have users who, within 5 minutes of receiving and reading an email
from IS Security that says "XXXXX Email may be landing in your
inbasket...with this subject...from this address...DO NOT OPEN THE
ATTACHMENT IN THAT EMAIL, please delete it immediately" decide that it did
not really mean them, and proceed to open said attachment anyway, they are
making mistakes...period.  (NOTE:  Yes we should be stripping all
potentially executable attachments, my shop does...hope yours does
too...but, I'm also willing to bet that if we are honest...I am damned sure
not in the minority of people who have had this scenario play out in the
past...and who are still very concerned about hundreds of laptop users who
are garbbing email from ISP-based sources while they are on the road)

It's wonderful to pontificate about how the world ought to be...but there
are more than a few of us who get to deal with it the way it is.  People
make mistakes.

Bart Lansing
Manager, Desktop Services
Kohl's IT