From: Ian.Latter at mq.edu.au (Ian Latter)
Subject: Backdoor not recognized by Kaspersky

> > ISP's make money from Bandwidth usage, it's therefore in
> > there interest to let traffic go un-checked as in the end
> > legitimate account holders will have to pay for it...
> >
> Wrong.  ISP's make money from subscriptions.  The ideal subscriber would
> be someone who pays the $21.95/month (or whatever it is these days) and
> *never* uses the Internet.  If you have 1000's of those, you could make
> a tidy profit on a T1.  The more bandwidth a subscriber uses, the less
> profitable their subscription is to the ISP.

  You're both right - it depends on which tier that your ISP operates
at.

  I looked at a traffic flood for a company a few years ago (they
did some hosting and a small dialup pool on a average link) and we
asked the upstream (national) provider to filter off the naughty
traffic on their side of the link - gave them the rules we wanted.
  We were promptly informed that they (the national provider) were
billed for the traffic when it entered the country, so they needed to
deliver it someplace to recoup the cost .. and our request was
denied.  I was more surprised by the reason than the rejection.

  And I've worked for ISPs where the more subscribers with the
lesser access the better ...

--
Ian Latter
Internet and Networking Security Officer