From: SkyLined at edup.tudelft.nl (Berend-Jan Wever)
Subject: Re: new internet explorer exploit  (was new worm)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
> Yeah. It is a zero day worm, and it is very notable as such.
>
> I can not recall a previous zero day worm. (AV is not my job, but I do
> try and follow zero day.)
>
> Hence, IE has birthed us the first zero day worm.
>
> We should be thankful it was not coded better, because it could have
> caused some really serious problems. A hundred thousand systems is
> really a low target when you consider 94% of all browsers being used are
> IE and the internet population is around the 400 million figure.

Just be thankfull the guy didn't take the time to find a 0day xss issues in
webbased e-mail services like hotmail/yahoo/etc... I still wonder why these
have not been exploited by email virii: They're not that hard to find (check
your archives) and it's just too easy to code a small worm in javascript for
these sites (I know from experience). The only propagation limiting problem
is that all trafic goes through centralized servers which can be easily
updated (check your archives for site-specific responds times). But if you
combine it with your regular e-mail worm techniques, you can be sure
propagation continues after that fix.

Cheers,
SkyLined