From: hdw at kallisti.se (Anders B Jansson)
Subject: Calcuating Loss

Well if you fail to take proper preventive action and a couple of
offices go down for a day or two you will have a loss.

Or as you correctly state, a lack of income.

But the resources used to clean up and/or reinstall some hundred boxes
after such an incident can even technically be indentified as a loss.

Can you blame that loss on the virus/worm writer?
Even if you didn't take the recommended preventive action?

I think you can.

If you take you car for a drive, and is killed by a drunk driver, the
drunk is to blame, even if you didn't wear your seatbelt.

If you leave your house unlocked and someone walks in and steals your
computers, the theif is still to blame.

The fact that you have to be an idiot to leave your house unlocked,
drive without your seatbelt or neglect preventive security doesn't
really shift the blame or negate your loss.

// hdw