From: live4java at stormcenter.net (Mister Coffee)
Subject: Support the Sasser-author fund started

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:33:25PM +0200, harry wrote:
> Tobias Weisserth wrote:
 <snip>

> who's fault is it really when you buy a door, you lock it, but a burglar
> finds a way to easily open it, comes in and tells you...

I don't really see any question of ethics, morals, or legality here.  The burgaler is at fault.  Said intruder may not be guilty of theft, and may have had "pure" motives, but they're still plainly guilty of Tresspass and Breaking and Entering.

Remember - I did lock my door.

With the possible exception of an Admin or Owner breaking into a system they are responsible for, _using an exploit to gain access_ is -always- a breach of ethics.

> just my 2 cents
>
> --
> harry
> aka Rik Bobbaers
> ps. i don't agree with the worm writers, but just want to say it's not
> just his fault, microsoft has to take it's responsability too

Microsoft has to take responsibility for making cruddy doors (to use your metaphore) but they are not to blame for someone kicking the door in.  And, much as I am not a fan of the Curse of Redmond, the patch for this 'sploit was already out and avilable.  They HAD fixed the problem.

Cheers,
L4J

> K.U.Leuven - LUDIT             -=- Tel: +32 485 52 71 50
> Rik.Bobbaers@...kuleuven.ac.be -=- http://harry.ulyssis.org
>
> -- Air conditioned environment - do not open windows!

Love the sig.