From: exibar at thelair.com (Exibar)
Subject: [inbox] Re: Fw: Sasser author

I'ts not really that simple though.

 Ok, this guy has 50 or so machines on a (assumed) flat network.  He's
running Checkpoint-1 firewall and blocking all not-needed ports, etc etc.
He feels that because he has a firewall blocking the Sasser ports at the
only internet ingress/egress point that he's safe and doesn't care that 90%
of those 50 machines aren't patched because "he's safe, he has the ports
blocked at the firewall".

  WRONG!!!

  All it takes is his Vice President, whose not patched yet because the
admin didn't want to disturb him late on a Friday, to plug his machine into
his home internet connection and WHAM, now he's infected but doesn't know it
yet.  Sure his machine shuts down but he just figures he'll bring it into
the office on Monday and ask the admin what he did wrong.
  Comes Monday morning that VP plugs into the network and infects the entire
network in seconds...

  Where's your precious firewall only solution going to help now?  Oh yah,
it'll keep the worm from spreading OUTSIDE the company now.... tsk tsk
tsk.... should have patched when he had the chance....

  Exibar