From: sgmasood at yahoo.com (S G Masood)
Subject: Imaging Operating Systems

--- Shawn Cox <shawn.cox@...a.com> wrote:
> Norton/Symantec Ghost
> PowerQuest Drive Image(I think Norton gobbled this
> one up)
>
> Or for the truly crafty vmWare.

Yeah. And do remember that though VMware is the
platform of choice for many testlabs, malware can
change its behaviour when it detects that it is being
run in a VMware virtual machine.

For example, see this short but interesting article
about how to detect a Virtual OS from a VXers point of
view -  http://29a.host.sk/29a-7/Articles/29A-7.011

I personally have not come across any malware which
changes its behaviour when it detects VMWare, but,
since it's relatively trivial, it may become standard
practice in the near future.

--
S.G.Masood

--
"Fools ignore complexity; pragmatists suffer it;
experts avoid it; geniuses remove it."