From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Re: Cisco's stolen code

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Mister Coffee wrote:

> <big snip>
> >
> > But, for realities sake, let's avoid hypothetical's and deal with the
> > facts;
> >
> > The code was stolen, it's been widely announced that it was obtained from
> > non-legal channels.  Now, back to my question;
> >
> > how is this different from cquiring stolen property in any other context?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> Ron,
>
> My point was strictly an ethical one on doing an audit, and the application of Fair Use in such.  As I've tried to point out several times, the acquisition was a separate issue that I'm not going into.  I'll let you pursue that with others.

I understand that you are trying to proceed on the original bent of this
thread, no matter how inaccurate that bent is to the original
issue/request that spawned this set of sub-threads.  the point is,
copywrite law might apply to me if I took code that was placed in my hands
by cisco, with a NDC of course extremely likely being signed and agreed
to, and then shared that code with someone not covered by that NDC, say
the juniper folks or you for some auditing purpose.  But, this issue is in
reality, a criminal issue/choice; trying to obtain what is known widely
to be stolen property.  And of course the choice or not to commit a
criminal act is most often an issue with an ethical context.

I do not believe the FBI has been tapped to investigate a copywrite
matter.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.