From: noamr at beyondsecurity.com (Noam Rathaus)
Subject: "License Check" Highway Scanner.

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 07:24, KF wrote:
> I just saw something on my local news about a device called "license
> Check" that will be in some sort of demo mode on my local highways. I
> was currious to know if anyone else has had this sort of (potentially
> intrusive?) "demo" ran in their area. Does anyone have pictures of the
> devices that are being used? Aparantly the device scans vehicle license
> plates as they pass and it in turn searches a database containing plates
> of criminals and stolen cars.
> -KF

> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html
Hi,

Even though I don't know what hardware they are using, a local company:
http://www.kvish6.co.il/ uses this kind of hardware to photograph license
plates for its toll highway.

The hardware looks like its mounted on a cross-beam over the highway with high
intensity lights at an angel of 60 degrees, I assume the same an angel as the
license plates are placed (the light works all the time, during the day, and
night), and two white lines on the ground, and of course cameras for each of
the lanes of the highway.

That is all I know :) Hope this helps.

BTW, doing some googling, revealed that they might be using this system:
http://www.raytheon.com/products/htms/ it looks very similar to what I have
seen on the road. And this picture:
http://www.raytheon.com/products/htms/img/htms13.jpg is the complete system I
believe I have seen.