From: gilbert.pilz at e2open.com (Gilbert Pilz)
Subject: Web sites compromised by IIS attack

It's all well and fine to say "we need this" and "we need that" but none of
it is going to happen without financial and/or legal incentives to make it
happen. The reason that software ships with so many bugs (including,
obviously, security flaws) is that current financial and legal conditions
create an environment in which it is advantageous for the vendors to do so.
Like anyone or anything else, software vendors have adapted to their
environment. If there was any way that doing any of the things you suggested
resulted in a signficantly better bottom line for the software vendors some
of them would be doing it by now and the rest would be copying them soon
thereafter. Read a EULA or two! It's right there in front of your face:
"This product is not actually guaranteed to do *anything*".

I personally think the problem stems from the entire "software as a product"
model. When marketing, buying and selling software as a product the focus
always tends to be on the things that are easy to talk about and verify
(i.e. features) and rarely ever on things that are hard to talk about and
verify (i.e. quality or security). With a "software as a service model"
*combined* *with* measurable and verifiable service level agreements (where
breaching the agreement results in refunds or other financial penalties) I
think you would find that the service providers would be much more focused
on quality and security because they have a direct financial interest in
making sure the service remains up and operating correctly.

- gilbert