From: TArseneault at counterpane.com (Tom Arseneault)
Subject: RE: [ISN] E-Mail Snooping Ruled Permissible

Jason,

First off your analogy is flawed. In snail mail final deliver is when it
get to the final address point. If it's a PO box then if delivered even
if you don't come and pick it up, if your in an apartment house then the
mailbox cluster is where the final delivery point is, in rural
communities the mailbox is on the main road and you have to drive to the
main road to pick up your mail. The point is that the "final delivery
point" is not always directly under the control of the user. In email if
your address is pointing to a pop3 mail server that is the end point,
the final deliver location, and the user than uses pop3 to pick it up,
in web based email the web server is the final delivery point and the
user uses the browser to pick it up. If you try and use some other
metric other than "email address" as the final delivery point I can just
imagine what a mess the laws will be in.

Take for example web based email, if you read it with your browser but
the mail still resides on the web server, does that mean it's not
delivered? Does the act of reading it make it delivered? Pop3
connections do not have "email" addresses so what is used to define the
transaction, what if the user leaves a copy on the server? I found this
on the Internet: "An MUA, or Mail User Agent, is a software program that
acts on behalf of the user." which covers Procmail quite nicely. Also an
MTA is defined as "accepts mail for delivery and either holds it for
download by a client or passes it to another MTA for delivery". POP3 is
client software that downloads mail to a reader so it's not an MTA which
supports my contention that the final delivery point, as far as law is
concerned, is the final MTA and not the POP/HTTP connection where a user
read the email.

Note: there was one line they did not go into any further "Often, a
separate Mail Delivery Agent ("MDA") will be required to retrieve the
e-mail from the MTA in order to make final delivery." So if you use this
definition then the POP connection would be the MDA and you would not
have made final delivery until the MDA transfer was complete. But this
is of no consequence because the issue was not one of where final
deliver was but in the very definition of "wire tapping"

The error of the court was not in their definitions of what constituted
final delivery but in saying that the emails were in "storage" at the
time. Whether it was in wires or on disk should have been immaterial to
the fact was that it had not reached the user mailbox and the MTA had
not terminated before the procmail script took over. I content that the
procmail, which was not written with the knowledge or consent of the end
user captured the email before final delivery and hence the mail was in
transit and should have been protected. The wire tap act needs to be
expanded **carefully** to include email (which would look like a
combination of snail mail and wire transaction laws).

Thomas J. Arseneault
Security Engineer
Counterpane Internet Security
tarseneault@...nterpane.com