From: dinis at ddplus.net (Dinis Cruz)
Subject: Security is not a technology, but instead attitude

Hello Trowel

I totally agree with you that (one of) the major problem(s) with security is
one of attitude and responsibility.

At the end of day these companies are business whose focus is on their
bottom line. Not on the security of their applications neither on the
security of their customers.

In my view the only solution for this problem is to make the end users (i.e.
the paying clients) aware of the (in)security level of the products and
services that they are buying and today implicitly trust.

When clients are aware, they do chose wisely and decisively. The problem is
that today there is no effective mechanism to let users (of websites and
applications) know about the level of security of their choices.

When such mechanism are created and developed, you will see a dramatic
improvement on the security of these applications because then, reactive
be more expensive than ensuring that those problems are not there in the
first place.

I have told so many companies that they have security vulnerabilities in
their applications or websites, and barely any has told their clients about
it.

It is so disgraceful and irresponsible that sometimes you just want to call
the editor of major IT magazine and expose them, but with the current laws
that we have (the "Computer Misuse Act" for example in the UK) one has to be
careful in publicly disclosing these vulnerabilities, because the first
thing that the affected companies will do is to report you to the police!
(It's funny that nobody seems to be worried about the affected clients whose
data, reputation and identity is at risk)

In my view the best thing the people that are really worried in improving
the security of today's (and tomorrow's) digital world can do, is to work on
the development of tools, standards and laws that 'show' in a easy, quick,
authoritative and effective way the level of security of websites, software
applications and hardware firmware.

I cannot finish this post without saying that this list (full-disclosure) is
already a huge step in the right direction (even with all the 'healthy
noise' and off-topic discussions).

Best regards

Dinis Cruz
.Net Security Consultant