From: toddtowles at brookshires.com (Todd Towles)
Subject: Windows Update

You are correct, I look into this deeper this morning and found the same
results. It doesn't matter if it is running or not. It can be running
and set to manual, WindowsUpdate will still fail.

Therefore you have to set the service to autotmaic for WindowsUpdate to
work. It is Microsoft's attempt to force all users to have automatic
updates on by default. This is fine for your everyday normal at home
user but it is a pain for corporations. People that use SUS need it
anyways, so it isn't a big deal. But we use SMS and I had the service
all to save resources. It was a service that was going to never work
correctly anyways (due to corporate proxy). Therefore to make company
turn on a unneeded service after telling everyone to turn off all
unneeded services for security is pretty lame.

Once again, I see a need to have a separate OS base for corporations and
home customers. But I am glad to see the death of the Win9x kernel.