From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: U.S. National Security Awareness Day (NSAD)

VX Dude wrote:

> <snip>
>
>You're not illegaly subscribed, but you may have
>subscribed to an illegal mailing list.  Due to the
>laws in "our nation" (USA), much of what is discussed
>here is (or will be) violating some form of DMCA type
>laws. (please  check your state laws for further
>deatils)
>
>It is a shame that germeny doesnt have there own
>security awareness day.  Until "your nation" fixes
>that, feel free and use ours.  If for some reason you
>dont like US holidays, then perhaps you'll enjoy
>Russian Jihad Hype day.  Its equally offensive, and
>has generated far more "offical" spam.
>
>If neither of these holidays appeal to you, there is a
>third option.  Establish the first annual German
>Security Awareness Hype day.  Send emails to all your
>friends and unmoderated mailing lists (woot!) warning
>them that MILLIONS of internet snipers (hehe the media
>will love that) will wipe out the root DNS Servers
>while the US is celebrating NSAD.
>
>If you unable to read the joke, feel free to be
>exteremly offended.

I find several things wrong with the so-called Security Awareness day.

          1. Its timing.  This one's obvious.  Why this year?  Why now?
Why not two years ago?  Well, obviously it's an election year.  Connect
the dots.

          2. Most of the suggestions are blanket home consideration
issues that would have no impact on an actual terrorist attack.  Telling
everyone to stock up on
              water and canned goods and to change the batteries in
their fire detector, not to mention buy a roll of duct tape, are all
well and good general advice tips.
              However, the fact of the matter is that these are
"feel-good" measures.  General readiness is a good thing, and I have no
personal problem with these
              suggestions by themselves.  It's the fact that they're
being couched in anti-terrorist rhetoric during an election year that
gets to me.  Talk about exploiting
              the dead - yeash!

         3. What does this have to do with network security?  I don't
think I can tie this one back to e-voting...  :)

                      -Barry