From: jessevalentin at yahoo.com (Jesse Valentin)
Subject: Hacking into private files, my credit card  purchases, personal correspondence or anything that is mine is trespassing  and criminal.

Hey there Bart,

Sorry I’m getting back to this so late.

Thanks for the post. You mentioned a few things however that were not accurate with regard to my original note.

You wrote: “Please don't ever depend on the nature of man changing in order to have safety and security.”

 Please understand, I do not depend on man changing his nature in order to have security. My point was that the issues we see in the world are to be expected due to the sorry social condition in which we currently live.

You also distorted my meaning when you stated that “Laws are necessary for exactly the reasons you say they are useless”. I was not stating that “laws” in general are without purpose as you incorrectly insinuated. Instead I was pointing out that the present legal foundation on which our society is built is unfortunately lacking in many ways and this situation contributes to the disorder that is seen on many levels of human interaction.

You went on to state that “Behavior modification through negative reinforcement works...always has, most likely always will”. Now without getting into a sociological debate, I feel that while this statement is accurate to a degree, present day conditions as well as historical record show that this approach by far is simply not enough.

 One point you brought up in your post was “There is no "moral breakdown", as humankind is not fundamentally moral. ”.

 Although I find your perspective interesting, I do feel this statement is also incorrect. With this in mind, consider what the Los Angeles News stated as early as March 29, 1941: “What is happening to us is essentially a moral collapse. The gap between what we pretend to believe and what we do in practice has constantly been widening. . . “

  “Moral Collapse” – hmmm doesn’t that remind you of a … breakdown?

Just some thoughts. Sorry, didn’t want to steer this away from security issues, but you know how it is when you’re misquoted. J

Jesse

Bart.Lansing@...ls.com wrote:

Jesse, et al...

"...expect to see an ongoing barrage on injustices..."

This has been ongoing since Cain slew Abel...or if you like, since Og
clubbed Ooog outside his cave and dragged his cavewoman off by her hair.
Please don't ever depend on the nature of man changing in order to have
safety and security. Those things are only accomplished via social
contracts called, you guessed it, laws.

There is no "moral breakdown", as humankind is not fundamentally moral.
Morals are learned and enforced and reinforced...not inherited or
magically imbued. Laws are necessary for exactly the reasons you say they
are useless...people cannot be made to change, therefore laws are in place
to deter unwanted behaviors...and failing that, to punish those who are
not detered. Behavior modification through negative reinfirecement
works...always has, most likely always will.

Bart Lansing
Manager, Desktop Services
Kohl's IT

full-disclosure-admin@...ts.netsys.com wrote on 10/08/2004 10:30:17 AM:

> Hey Jan,
>
> I totally hear your frustration. This is unfortunately a very big
> issue that we deal with in society on a day to day basis. The "every
> man for himself" mentality has truly pervaded every level of human
> interaction.
>
> As I'm sure you are aware, this is unfortunately due to a moral
> breakdown affecting human society and culture that is being seen all
> over the planet. No matter how many laws are passed or how many
> policies are written, they are pretty much useless as they are not
> capable of changing people. The type of solution you are talking of
> requires a far greater change than just penalties for actions or
> stronger laws. One of the main things is that people's hearts and
> mental inclinations need to change... until this is accomplished you
> can expect to see an ongoing barrage of injustices...
>
> Big issues out there!
>
> Thanks for the post.
>
> Jesse Valentin
> Information Security Engineer
>

> "Clairmont, Jan M" wrote:
>
> I just don't understand people who think by using some cheap trick they
> get into my files or website and hack them, that they have no
> personal responsibility.
> It's insane to think and criminal that anything you can get into is fair
game.

> Just because I have a cheap lock you can break does not make
> invading my home or personal property yours. Eh gods man, how does
> this type of idiotic logic prevail,
> just becasue I lost my wallet does not constitute your right to use my
credit
> card, atm card and personal information for your enrichment. Because
> you can get into
> some sieve unsecured systems gives you the right to exploit or rape
> a persons bank account, steal their identity and generally destroy
> someone's life.
>
> I have found a number of wallets and purses and returned them intact
> to the rightful
> owners, as I have done with computer systems that! my friends,
neightbors and
> clients have used with vulnerablilties or virii. Sometimes they
> didn't even know I helped or fixed something. You know why because I
> respect the privacy and property of others. And if you don't, you
> deserve the indignation and the handcuffs they put on you
> when they drag you down to chinatown, baby.
>
> Compute Fair, Compute Fun, Compute secure
> Jan Clairmont Paladin of Security, Take no Prisoners!
> Unix Security Support/Consultant

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and notify us immediately at 262-703-7000.

CAUTION:
Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves the right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and received. Kohl's reserves the right to monitor messages by authorized Kohl's Associates at any time
without any further consent.