From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (Barry Fitzgerald)
Subject: Slightly off-topic: www.georgewbush.com

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Here's a suggestion for you.  Google for "Oil for Food".  Once you're
> done reading, come back here and tell us how Germany, France and
> Russia were *not* in bed with Sadaam, buying oil at great discounts in
> exchange for weapons sales and other favors - in material violation of
> the UN sanctions that all three countries signed - and how Kofi
> Annan's own son wasn't also involved in the corruption.

 From http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1266328,00.html ...

Meanwhile, Cheney was busy developing Halliburton's business in other
parts of the world. "It is a false dichotomy that we have to choose
between our commercial and other interests," he told the [public policy
research foundation] Cato Institute in 1998, speaking out against
economic sanctions levied by the Clinton administration against
countries suspected of terrorist activity. "Our government has become
sanctions-happy," he continued.

In particular, Cheney objected to sanctions against Libya and Iran, two
countries with which Halliburton was already doing business regardless.
Even more disconcerting, though, was the work the company did in Iraq.
Between his stints as secretary of defence and vice-president, Cheney
was in charge of Halliburton when it was circumventing strict UN
sanctions, helping to rebuild Iraq and enriching Saddam Hussein.

There's also plenty of other references to this if you google.

What was that you were saying, Paul?  Did you even have a point?  Your
own man did it and you have the gall to shake a finger at the European
people?

Oh yeah... you were talking about how people were ignorant of the
facts.... right...

             -Barry