From: dean at iglou.com (Dean Brooks)
Subject: Slightly off-topic: www.georgewbush.com

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 10:23:08AM -0500, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

> Meanwhile, Cheney was busy developing Halliburton's business in other
> parts of the world. "It is a false dichotomy that we have to choose
> between our commercial and other interests," he told the [public policy
> research foundation] Cato Institute in 1998, speaking out against
> economic sanctions levied by the Clinton administration against
> countries suspected of terrorist activity. "Our government has become
> sanctions-happy," he continued.
>
> In particular, Cheney objected to sanctions against Libya and Iran, two
> countries with which Halliburton was already doing business regardless.
> Even more disconcerting, though, was the work the company did in Iraq.
> Between his stints as secretary of defence and vice-president, Cheney
> was in charge of Halliburton when it was circumventing strict UN
> sanctions, helping to rebuild Iraq and enriching Saddam Hussein.

Cheney was CEO of Halliburton in the private sector prior to his
vice-presidency.  He had previously left government work to be in the
private sector, when Bush asked him if he would be his running mate
due to his experience in government.

He decided to do so, gave up his post as CEO and does not play any
executive or board role in the company.  He has stock options in
the company, but no differently than any other person who leaves
a high ranking role, or who privately owns stock in a public company.
He even pledged to give after-tax proceeds from the stock options
to charity.

There seems to be this great conspiracy theory about Cheney, but people
who adhere to that theory rarely seem to check the facts and realize
that Cheney was NOT in a government role when Bush asked him to be
his running mate.  He closed his ties to the company at the time he
returned to office.

The Oil for Food program, however, was truly a scandal.  There would
never have been ANY situation where Germany or France would have voted
to approve the war.  No matter how badly Iraq would have been
violating sanctions (which they were doing for years), there would
have been nothing Bush could have done to convince them, since they
were in bed with Iraq financially and were essentially bribed.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@...ou.com