From: stephane.nasdrovisky at paradigmo.com (stephane nasdrovisky)
Subject: IE is just as safe as FireFox

Stuart Fox (DSL AK) wrote:

> > Can the Firefox settings be controlled centrally?
> >Yes, and more flexible than IE versions zoo at user computers. Download
> >a Firefox ZIP (not Firefox_Setup_1.0.exe but Firefox 1.0.zip), unpack it
> >to R/O share on file server, edit JS configuration files in
> >.\defaults\pref and .\greprefs, then create a shortcut to firefox.exe on
> > user desktops. To change FF settings, edit JS configs again. Voila!
>
> Can the executable reside on the workstation with the settings stored
> on the network?  In an ideal world, you'd be able to control the
> settings via Group Policy (which is how you do it with IE).  I'm not
> sure your method is any more flexible than using Group Policy to be
> honest.

Unfortunatly, ms group policy do not handle mac, solaris, linux, ...
only ms toys can be configured using this. I also think it is somewhat
new and will probably be old (why don't you use this miracle ms tool
named: sorry, this falls under some nda) in a year or so.
This mail doesn't mean firefox/mozilla is the greatest tool of the
world. It lacks (or my knowledge is too limited) good ldap support (I
tryed keeping my netscape config on my ldap directory, mozilla do not
seems  to have this feature). Other browsers&mail readers are using a
dedicated central config server (I forgot the  name) in order to make
them more corporate aware.
Some years ago, it was possible to share the same config on netscape /
nt4 & solaris 2.6, which was not possible with ie or outlook (or outlook
express).