From: andfarm at teknovis.com (Andrew Farmer)
Subject: I'm calling for LycosEU heads and team to resign or be sacked

On 03 Dec 2004, at 16:38, Bob Smith wrote:
> Everyone who downloaded that screensaver did so intentionally, this
> wasn't a trojan operating behind the scenes. The participants were
> willing combatants, the engine happened to come from Lycos this time,
> but there have been other efforts in the past as well.
>
> And if the spammers don't like my packets being sent to their system,
> all they have to do is send me a polite e-mail asking to be removed.
> It is really quite simple.

You really think generating *terabytes* of junk traffic is a good way
to solve problems?

As n3td3v said, legitimizing this sort of attack would be a
justification
of DDoSes of all sorts. Someone has a web site you don't like? DDoS it!
Idiot on IRC? DDoS him! Who cares if it slows down traffic all over the
net - this is vigilante justice, man!

(I'm purposefully ignoring the fact that this already happens in some
circles. My point is that DDoS would be more widely used.)

And the argument that these people "deserved" the DDoS they got is
partially flawed, too. For example, one of the sites targeted
(http://www.artofsense.com/) appears to have been an accidental
casualty - an affiliate sent spam with images from their site.