From: swtornio at mac.com (Steve Tornio)
Subject: [lists] Terminal Server vulnerabilities

On Jan 25, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Curt Purdy wrote:

> Daniel Sichel wrote:
> <snip>
>> Naturally  I
>> don't like this answer because of horror stories I have heard
>> about Terminal server. They claim there are no unfixed
>> vulnerabilities to Terminal Server on Windows Server 2000
>> Service Pack 4.
>
> The problem with terminal server is not any vulnerablities that can be
> exploited, but the fact that administrator can be bruteforced (6
> attempts
> followed by reconnect) and that it is screaming its existence on port
> 3889.
> If you use it, definitely change the port in the registry.

Of course, one of the very first things you should do on a Windows box
is rename the administrator account, so this kind of blind
brute-forcing is not possible.

Also, the problem you describe can be exacerbated in that administrator
can be brute-forced without creating a log entry, by attempting 5
logons and disconnecting before Windows disconnects and logs after the
sixth failure.  This was covered in a talk at Black Hat 2003, when Ryan
Russell and Tim Mullens released TSGrinder.  I don't know if they
continued work on it.