From: sovrevage at gmail.com (Stian Øvrevåge)
Subject: ICMP Covert channels question

Hi cyberpixl!

It's fascinating how you can bounce traffic and information by using
stateless protocols and fake source addresses. However, you are not
really hiding yourself, on packets leaving an internal network,
destined for the bouncer, will contain your source address and vica
verca.

Don't you think it's a little strange if packets with source address
88.88.88.88 was leaving your 10.0.0.0 network? Or packets from
10.0.0.33 was comming in on the WAN interface?

Also, packet filtering is based on router configuration. More and more
administrators are filtering packets with unexpected source and/or
destination addresses ( ingress and egress filtering ).

My conclusion is, bouncing packets does not help hiding you, in fact,
it does just the opposite. The level of technical challenges are also
increasing.