From: richardt at qualcomm.com (Threlkeld, Richard)
Subject: RE: Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer not
	seeing KB887742 and KB886185

I don't dispute that there are security concerns there however the tool
in question, the MBSA, was designed for a specific purpose which the
original poster doesn't seem to understand.  The breadth of Windows is
quite large and as such the amount of bugs possible are large being
security related or not.  If you were to classify every DoS as a
security implication that needed to be scanned by the MBSA it would take
hours to scan a single system and compare its patch level against every
hotfix released for an OS.

On top of that though the MBSA does do a good job at scanning for common
security misconfigurations on a Windows system such as weak
Administrator passwords, auditing, and some other general Windows
vulnerabilities.  MS also has some great scripts for the utility located
off of the MBSA homepage which concatenate the data and roll it up into
nice reports.  But to say that any BSOD is a DoS and expecting a tool
such as the MBSA to scan against a database containing every hotfix for
a BSOD is a bit unreasonable IMO.  The MSSECURE.XML is large enough as
it is, I couldn't imagine the size of an update catalog for every hotfix
for BSOD's that MS releases (although I suppose you could do it and have
/HF just scan for MSxx-xxx updates and another switch for scanning
against a different XML file containing every hotfix with the caveat
that the scan would take longer).  If I were to really criticize
anything it would be the performance of the MBSA which is sub par at
best.

This really is just a case of understanding what a specific tool is
designed to do and what it is not designed to do.  And being that it's a
free tool which when it has had detection issues over the past 6 month's
MS has created additional scanning tools to fill in the gaps and not
leave their customers high and dry, I'd find it hard to criticize them
that much.

Best,

Richard Threlkeld
Microsoft MVP - SMS