Date: Sat Jul 30 16:19:55 2005
From: dan_20407 at msn.com (DAN MORRILL)
Subject: <Cisco Message> Mike Lynn's controversial
	CiscoSecurity Presentation

>From what I understand (I am writing a major paper on Intellectual Property
Protection right now, the Joy of being a student) the creator of the data
has the direct right under Title 17 and the DMCA to determine how the data
will be used (hence expiring CDR's and DRM).

If data is sent in error that does not limit or otherwise reduce the rights
of the data owner, and the data owner can request that the data be removed.
The data owner can also request assurances that the data has been removed
from all parties that they believe have copies of that data. Cisco in their
message has acted according to American law by requesting that all copies of
the data that is held in private hands be deleted as they are the acting IP
owners along with ISS. Cisco is acting as the agent of the IP owner (much
like RIAA and MPAA do for artists and movie makers).

Their request is quite legal, and at least they were polite about it.

If anyone wants more data on this subject (which is way off topic for FD), I
can provide it separately or as private conversation.

Regards,
Dan

Sometimes MSN E-mail will indicate that the mesasge failed to be delivered.
Please resend when you get those, it does not mean that the mail box is bad,
merely that MSN mail is over worked at the time.