Date: Wed Aug 17 02:09:56 2005
From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Global CompuSearch]

VIA MAIL AND EMAIL jasonc@...ence.org

Mr. Jason Coombs
59-088 Kamehameha Hwy.
Haleiwa, HI  96712

Re:	Global CompuSearch, L.L.C.

Dear Mr. Coombs:

Our firm has been retained by Global CompuSearch, L.L.C., to address the
false and slanderous statements that you have made to various third
parties about Global CompuSearch and Marcus Lawson.  I have reviewed
several emails that you have sent which you have sent to calling Mr.
Lawson a liar, and calling him an incompetent computer forensic expert.
  Specifically, I have reviewed an August 9, 2005 email that you sent to
an internet forensic bulletin board where you provide an alleged quote
of Marcus Lawson and stated that Mr. Lawson?s purported statement is ?a
big fat lie told by self-important people.?   Later in this email you
seek information about Marcus Lawson and then state that ?people like
Marcus Lawson who think they know what their doing but clearly do not
are helping to get innocent people convicted by spewing nonsense.?  Your
statements about Mr. Lawson are false and are obviously made with the
intent to injure Mr. Lawson?s reputation as a forensic expert and injure
Mr. Lawson?s business throughout the computer forensic community which
Mr. Lawson and Global CompuSearch will not sit idly by and allow.

I have also reviewed the emails that you have sent directly to Global
CompuSearch?s client, Mr. Phil Cave, Esq., in which you attempt to
directly solicit forensic work by repeatedly defaming Marcus Lawson and
his company.    In an email that you sent on August 10, 2005, to Mr.
Cave you state that Mr. Lawson?s testimony caused harm to a defendant in
a separate trial, and then state:

?I would submit to you that anyone with minimal training who knows how
to operate a computer could have done the work that Mr. Lawson did, and
it is my belief that the same can be said of Mr. Lawson?s work in the
present case.?

Considering that you have not reviewed the work that Mr. Lawson has done
in Mr. Sander?s case, nor have you reviewed the computer hard drive in
question, your accusations are clearly baseless.  You further claim in
your email that Mr. Lawson has made a purported false statement at some
point in time which ?proves beyond any doubt that Mr. Lawson?s
inaqdequate understanding of computer programming is causing him to
offer inaccurate, underinformed opinions in the present case.?  In an
August 13, 2005, email to Mr. Cave after writing two pages of reasons
why you believe Mr. Lawson can simply disobey a court order and transfer
to you a hard drive which contains illicit child pornography, you state
that Mr. Lawson?s work product is ?incompetent and misleading.?  In this
same email you write:

?I sincerely hope that the court in this case is given full explanation
of what Mr. Lawson?s mistakes have been, and that the court takes the
time to carefully teach Mr. Lawson his duty as an expert witness.  He
clearly misunderstands what the court expects of him, and his
misunderstandings are helping to deprive people of their Constitutional
rights.  Surely this cannot be his intent.?

Your statements about Mr. Lawson are false and are obviously made with
the intent to injure Mr. Lawson?s professional relationship with Mr.
Cave.  This not only constitutes defamation, but you are further
deliberately attempting to interfere with the business relationship
between Mr. Cave and Global CompuSearch.

Global CompuSearch hereby demands that you immediately cease and assist
from making any further defamatory and disparaging statements to anyone
regarding Marcus Lawson and Global CompuSearch; and that you cease and
desist from contacting Mr. Cave about Mr. Lawson, Global CompuSearch or
about Mr. Sanders? case.  If you choose to ignore my client?s demand,
and you continue to spew these false and defamatory statements against
Mr. Lawson and his company, I have been instructed me to immediately
proceed with initiating a lawsuit against you to obtain all appropriate
remedies.  I am further informed that you are affiliated with a forensic
organization.  If you continue with this conduct, we will have to notify
the organization and potentially join them as a party to the lawsuit.
Global CompuSearch hopes that you will act prudently so that no further
legal action will be necessary.  However, Global CompuSearch is prepared
to do what is necessary to protect itself from your unwarranted attacks
and outrageous conduct.

Very truly yours,

MATTHEW T. RIES

cc:	Marcus Lawson