Date: Fri Aug 19 12:49:41 2005
From: trains at doctorunix.com (trains@...torunix.com)
Subject: Bypassing the new /GS protection in VC++ 7.1

Quoting Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:17:25 +0800, leaf said:
>> Hey,
>> Buffer overflows will be harder and harder. Maybe game is over.
>
> The game will never be over.  The best you can hope for is to find a
> cost-effective way to raise the bar high enough to keep the likelyhood
> that you'll get hacked down to an acceptable level.

There are a hundred (or more) ways to exploit a system.  Even if /GS is
100% effective at preventing an executable stack segment, it simply
means that one of the hundred openings is closed.

Buffer overruns will probably exist in some other DLL on the system and
that will become the new infection vector.

I think it's a good thing, but its a very tiny step.  I have been a
systems programmer for more that 30 years, and I try to make my code as
secure as possible.  The code I wrote 15 years ago is probably
completely exploitable by buffer overruns and who knows what else.  The
code I wrote last month would be much more difficult.

Consider this:   The program that has no buffer overrun vulnerabilities
got that way because a programmer cared enough and was skilled enough
to do it right.  What the /GS suggests (I am not on V7 yet, so I dont
have first hand experience here) is that any slacker can cobble
together a poorly concieved interface with no input checking and super
weak security-by-obscurity, bloated cookies loaded with personal info,
and still sleep nights knowing that his app is invulnerable.

Sounds good to me.  By the way, if I do eventually upgrade to 7 I
intend to figure out how to exploit the /GS, just cause I think it's
cool.

tc