Date: Thu Aug 25 02:07:21 2005
From: rduque at the-beach.net (Ruben Duque)
Subject: talk.google.com

Javi Polo wrote:

>On Aug/24/2005, Stuart Carter wrote:
>

>>Google will make money off it the way they usually do - by providing a useful service, based on open source and open standards, and use it as a conduit to deliver advertising :)
>>

>Personally, I'm very afraid of the power that Google is gaining ..... I
>mean, most searches are done through google, so they know what you're
>interested in, then a lot of peoples email's going through them, with
>gmail, now italk ..... next is world domination?
>
>I suppose you all know of this website, but just in case ..
>http://www.google-watch.org/
>
>On the other hand, I'm SO FUCKING ANGRY of everybody using MSN, so I
>hope this googletalk thingy makes people move to jabber :)

If we want to talk about scary, consider an update to Google Talk to
include a sort of proximity-based IM similar to that provided by Meetro
(http://www.meetro.com/) which was rumored to be in talks with Google a
couple of weeks ago ( I know, they have since denied any possibility of
an acquisition, but it doesn't mean that Google is outright dismissing
the possibility of location-aware IM). Now incoporate Google Maps into
all of this and you get the ultimate geolocation-aware IM service, not
to mention the ultimate means for invasion of privacy ( 'cause as it has
been mentioned here, most people will jump into anything Google puts,
either just to be cool or because "Google can do no wrong").

How likely is this? I don't know and I agree it does sound paranoid and
conspiracy theory-esque, but it's plausible and doable and if anyone
could actually pull off something like this, that would be Google.