Date: Mon Sep 12 13:50:20 2005
From: fd at stroobant.be (Luc Stroobant)
Subject: Automated mass abuse of form mailers

Michael Holzt wrote:
> Automated mass abuse of form mailers
>
> 2005/09/12, Michael Holzt, kju -at- fqdn.org
>
> 1. Summary
>
>    Lately webpage mail forms has become a target of spammers. The attacks
>    seems to be automated and try to exploit the use of untrusted input data
>    in a lot of these form mailers. The attacks inserts newlines into data
>    fields which are used unchecked in header lines of the mail generated.
>    These newlines allow the attacker to add own header lines and message
>    content.

I noticed this too. They started testing our forms few weeks ago and
it's still going on. They're using zombies, so IP-blocking is pointless.

>    The victim has managed to add his own Cc line (which will be the spam
>    target), a own subject and a own body. The original subject (and other
>    header lines) as well as the original content have been moved into
>    the body of the mail. Examples of real abuse witnessed have shown that
>    the attackers even try to create multipart messages to hide the original
>    content generated by the form mailer.

I used some mod_security filters (To\:, Cc\:, Bcc\: etc...) to analyse
their POST requests. The multipart tric is in all their tests in our
case. This is an example: