Date: Thu Nov 24 01:13:49 2005
From: wilder_jeff at msn.com (wilder_jeff Wilder)
Subject: Hacking Boot camps!: certifications

I wanted to chime in on all this SANS VS. any other certification VS.
training...

The only thing a certification does for anyone is validate to a prospective
employeer that you, at the time you took the test, knew enough to pass it.
Depending on how high that bar is set will determine if you receive it or
not.  So I go take a test so my employeer knows that I am smart and I can do
the things I claim.. things I already knew.

So, how you gain the information, through a crash course in buffer overflows
or seed information that give you a topic of study... or a lifes worth of
study on the topic means very little to an employeer. Its only the alphabet
soup that they care about.

Want to know where the best bang for the buck is.... goto... www.dice.com...

search for GIAC  = 116 open positions
search for CISSP = 677 open positions

So am I any smarter for having my CISSP over a GIAC?... I dont think so..
but the employeers seem to thing so =)

So back to the hacking boot camps issue... I had my ethical hacking cert
before I went to class, was I any smarter after I had the cert?.. No... well
actually it was one of the hardest tests I've taken and still passed it
without a book to study or the weeks class.

I have been to great classes, and some that where really a waist of time and
alot of money to boot. But I ALWAYS found some value because I went for me..
and not another cert at the end of my name. Not everyone is going to have
the answer for every question, I know I dont, I cant hold that against an
instructor.
If you get owned for 3500 bucks because you didnt investigate what it was
that you where going to be learning... the courseware... or whatever it was
that was that you bought... its because you allowed yourself to get owned.
If the class you took didnot offer the information that you desired..
perhapse you should lookinto different material more SR. level.. or create
your own certification maintain 20 tracks.. sell it.. promote it... =)   so,
I respect what they have done for the industry, its not an easy task.

I coauthored some courseware for a forensics management class... I've spent
100's of hours in prep to create it and deliver it.

My hats off to anyone who wants to share information at any level.. because
you will always find someone at every level.

thats my $.02 worth

-Jeff Wilder
CISSP,CCE,C/EH,security+,ISSAP,ISSMP,MCP,INet+... yadda yadda yadda..