Date: Thu Dec 15 15:50:01 2005
From: pmelson at gmail.com (Paul Melson)
Subject: Someone is running his mouth again...
	[Hackerattacks in US linked to Chinese military: researchers]

________________________________
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Someone is running his mouth again...
[Hackerattacks in US linked to Chinese military: researchers]

> ....and unfortunately when Alan Paller runs his mouth, people listen.
DAMNIT. Gracias senore
> Paller, lets poke china some more, great idea!

Paller is hardly the first to suggest that the Chinese government is
sponsoring hacker attacks against US government and defense targets.  It's
been mainstream media fodder for months:

http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1098961,00.html

> In the attacks, Paller said, the perpetrators "were in and out with no
keystroke errors and
> left no fingerprints, and created a backdoor in less than 30 minutes. How
can this be done
> by anyone other than a military organization?"

By using copy & paste?  :)

Anyway, the use of the term 'fingerprints' in describing a remotely-executed
attack should give you a clue that he's exaggerating.  I take it to be more
hype and hysteria, which is one way that infosec vendors (like SANS) drive
sales.  If you can't make people believe in the value of your services,
maybe you can scare them into buying.  It's an old move.  (Remember the
Michelangelo virus circa 1992?)  And what with all of the upper-middle class
college kids that make up the old hacker demographic going to work for
American infosec vendors, they need a new boogie man.  Enter the Russian mob
and Chinese government.

PaulM