Date: Mon Dec 19 11:09:12 2005
From: jpole at jcpa.com (Jamie C. Pole)
Subject: [Clips] A small editorial about recent events.
	(fwd)

I don't see how that can be the case - 90% of the time, I am in these
foreign countries at the request of their government.  I am in an
excellent position to make such comparisons.

I like Spain (and Russia, and Singapore) very much, but at the same
time, shouldn't a Spaniard be concerned that their government is so
willing to manufacture evidence in order to obtain a conviction?  It
scared the heck out of me!  I'm not saying that law enforcement in
the US (especially state & local, the Federal agencies to a lesser
extent) doesn't ever do the same thing, but I have never experienced
the level of nonchalance regarding falsifying evidence that I saw in
Spain.  I simply provided three anecdotes, and Spain was one of the
ones that popped into my head.  With the exception of Greece, I think
I could have come up with at least one for every country I have
worked in.  Greece is almost paradise...  :-)

There is no way that I can be accused of having "a total lack of
information about anything that is outside the US".  A significant
portion of my career has been spent working and teaching outside the
US.  I'm also not one of the Americans that expects every foreign
country to speak English.  In many cases, I speak the language that
is spoken in the country I'm working in.  I'm definitely ashamed when
I watch an indignant American treating a waiter or bellman (for
example) poorly because he or she does not speak English.

My knowledge of these countries is direct, first hand.  I didn't pop
into a Barnes & Noble store to pick up a Fodor's Country Guide.  In
comparing all of the places I have lived and worked in, the USA would
be my choice.  I know that there are around a hundred or so countries
that I have not visited, so I can't comment on them.  Nor would I try.

Jamie