Date: Tue Dec 27 20:14:36 2005
From: kurt.buff at gmail.com (Kurt Buff)
Subject: Spy Agency Mined Vast Data Trove

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 10:11:45PM -0600, Leif Ericksen wrote:
>
>>>Really if we have nothing to hide we should not fear them listening to
>>>us.  Now if they come in and start forcing a special mark or code word
>>>or something special in order to live or buy or sell anything then it is
>>>time to revolt.
>

> Now, that is an interesting view of someone who really is not paying
> attention.
>
> What would you qualify as "something to hide" ? How about my banking
> account data ? How about the trade secrets of my company ?

Interesting line of argument, but really beside the point. You are
correct that Leif has taken the wrong line of argument, but you yourself
 haven't quite got it right.

Leif speaks as if the government has a right to monitor our thoughts.
Such a stance indicates that we are property of (a|the) government.

Just the opposite is true. The just government serves at the pleasure of
its citizens, and must not be allowed any more power than what is
strictly necessary, if any at all.

For the US, the 4th Amendment applies, and all of the history
surrounding it - secure in papers and effects, unreasonable
search/seizure, etc.

The recent NSA actions (and older programs, too, such as Echelon), taken
at the behest of Presidential directive, are clearly illegal, and
destructive of the relationship between citizens and their government.

The 1st Amendment also applies, in that free speech can also be private,
with unauthorized others excluded, for whatever reason, and/or
anonymous. If government intrudes, it has an unwarranted chilling effect.

Kurt