Date: Tue Dec 27 05:56:42 2005
From: coderman at gmail.com (coderman)
Subject: Spy Agency Mined Vast Data Trove

On 12/26/05, Leif Ericksen <leife@....net> wrote:
> Echelon????  YAWN...  That is old news that is like 10-15 years old and
> was first announce like 8-10 years ago was it not...

yes, an old program, but what version are we at now?  1.0 was
telephone and radio; we're a long way from those days.  the powers
that be are not eager to divulge capabilities and life cycle.

likewise DCS1000 is probably in the geriatric stages; much better
methods are available with more capability.  it too is more a
placeholder for a class of intrusive monitoring than a particular
model of equipment in a specific configuration.

> Encryption?  when
> it comes time to NSA/CIA/Omega Sector or other unnamed government
> agencies if they want to decrypt it they can...  That is my belief.

do you mean breaking ciphers or breaking bones?  the cheapest route
around strongly keyed ciphers is the easily deceived and fallible
human component after all...

[[ i'll avoid a discussion of side channels available to billionaire
budgets, but i still believe a strong implementation of a modern
cipher is too expensive to attack directly. ]]

> Really if we have nothing to hide we should not fear them listening to
> us.

i hope one day you realize how dangerous this line of thinking is.
history can provide you a wealth of examples worth considering.

unfortunately history also tells me people like you won't realize it
until it is too late.