Date: Tue Jan 17 20:22:43 2006
From: steven at lovebug.org (Steven)
Subject: PC Firewall Choices

I am looking at supplementing the Windows XP (Pro) SP2 Firewall with a third
party product on a bunch of Windows machines.  I am trying to determine what
product to go with and wanted to solicit some opinions from this mailing
list.  The four that I really come across and have used in some cases are
ZoneAlarm, Sygate, Norton, Kerio, and Tiny.  My understanding is that Norton
has actually acquired Sygate and that the Sygate Personal Firewall probably
wouldn't be the best choice of these now.  With that in mind I am looking
for a product that easy to setup, easy to use, works well, and does not take
up too much in terms of system resources or harddrive space ( I also don't
want it to add 20 minutes to the boot process either).

I am not looking for e-mail protection, anitivrus, or any other non-firewall
type services to be included.  I do however want it to be able to manage
applications and their internet usage.  (i.e. if they install something new
that tries to access the web (trojans included) they will get a popup
telling them something is doing this).

Any suggestions and opinions on the above products and any others that I
might not have mentioned are welcomed.

Also -- on top of this if someone knows of software/hardware that can scan
these machines and verify whether or not both the SP2 FW and/or the 3rd part
FW -- and perhaps prevent them network access if they are not running --
please let me know. [I am not sure what security products have these
capabilities]

Thanks

Steven