Date: Wed Jan 18 18:13:10 2006
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Vulnerability/Penetration Testing Tools

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:36:04 CST, "Madison, Marc" said:

> Developer $60K/year divided by the adopted 2080 man hours year (this is
> the average hours work, 40 hour week, 5 days, etc...) = $28.85/hourly,

That's the *unencumbered* cost.

Now add in the employer cost of health insurance (probably close to $400
or more a month), FICA Medicare, Social Security, workman's comp, pension
plan - right there that's another 25% in addition to that $28.85.  Now he's
costing you $35/hour.  And we're not done yet....

Then add in the cost of his office - if he has a 10x10 cubicle, and commercial
space rents for $10/square foot/mo, that's another $12,000/year.  Now add in
electricity, the cost of administrative assistants and HR people to support it
(unless it's a *small* shop and doesn't have assistants and HR), and so on.
Oh, and if you buy him a new $3,000 workstation every third year, that's another
$1K/year.  This shit adds up.

That's why the rule of thumb is the real cost of a technical hire is twice the
salary...

> Like you said, "many people make that comparison, and don't calculate
> the *TOTAL* cost".

That's what I said..;)