Date: Wed Jan 18 20:01:31 2006
From: frank at knobbe.us (Frank Knobbe)
Subject: Question for the Windows pros

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 12:07 -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I understand *that*.  My question is, what are you granting them "su"
> *for*?  The entire kettle of fish?  Or specific tasks.  The privilege only
> allows you to impersonate a *client* (as in server-client), so (I would
> think) you can't do file browsing or http parsing (or can you?)

Right. Unless the user can find a way of running as a "logged on user"
or such. A user might be able to run an exploit script that takes
advantage of the ImpersonateClient and launches a cmd.exe locally. Think
of Attempted Privilege Execution rather than Attempted Privilege
Escalation since you already have the privilege escalated through this
right.... just need to find a way to put it to use. Remembering stunts
like using the scheduler to run cmd.exe interactively or as a
screensaver, getting to the point of doing something useful with that
right shouldn't be too hard.

What are you granting them su for? Perhaps for a mail migration utility
that runs as administrator, but assumes the security context of a user
to read email from his mailbox (yeah, admin can do that, this is just an
example). Or for running a script remotely against a user workstation
that sets certain things in the Registry in the user context (to gain
access to the Secure Storage or such).

> Unfortunately, in the context of my problem, the users must have this
> right.

What circumstance requires you to turn that right on, if you don't mind
me asking?

Cheers,
Frank

against your ports.