Date: Wed Jan 18 20:09:55 2006
From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (bkfsec)
Subject: Secure Delete for Windows

J.A. Terranson wrote:

>(1) I do have something "useful to say".  The exact same thing every other
>security conscious person is saying:
>
>No source?  An exe?  Baaaaaddddd newwwwwssssss....
>
>Publicly released "tools" are only safely released through open source
>(or, "full disclosure" if you prefer).  Without source, it's you who
>should be taking a turn at stfu.

I'm going to back up the general point of J.A.'s statement.

People who don't care about security and could care less about
transparency don't, by and large, use "file shredders".  A handful of
paranoid users might, but I think that these people are few and far
between.  Ensuring that files are deleted represents a willfulness
amongst the user to be detailed (or paranoid, perhaps, depending on
their motives and intentions).

As such, I think that the same kinds of people who might be interested
in a tool like this would be interested in reviewing the source code,
for two reasons:

          - Verification that the code is not a trojan.
          - Ensuring that the methods used in the secure deletion
utility are sound.  (Which is perhaps more important for the
detail-oriented.)

In the end, it's easy to see the value of transparency, particularly in
a product like this.  There really is no sound argument for
proprietization anymore.  Code is so heavily commoditized that most
programs are reinventions of older concepts.  That isn't to say that
there isn't some innovation going on, but the reality is that the only
argument that can be used for proprietization is profit, and that's an
argument that has been getting progressively less enticing as more
commoditization occurs and as more code projects are shipped off to
offshore workshops, the draw of proprietization is decreased - I would
even say antiquated.   Interestingly, people continue to proprietize
code even in the face of that.  I guess that that green aura is somewhat
blinding. :)

(Not flaming anyone, just making some observations.)

                -bkfsec