Date: Fri Jan 27 21:46:48 2006
From: yossarian at planet.nl (yossarian)
Subject: Re: [security] What A Click! [Internet Explorer]

HTA runs applications from HTML documents. Like I mentioned, never broke
anything in my experience. And yes, I sometimes develop stuff on this old
windows box, including webstuff. HTA is a MS invention,  Firefox has
followed. But the main thing HTA has been, and IMHO will remain, is a
security flaw.

A lengthy quote <quote> HTAs are Windows applications that can access and
use ActiveX components, COM objects, the Windows Scripting Host and
scripting languages, to form easy to develop and maintain, yet powerful
solutions for business and personal tasks. The simplest of all HTA
applications can be created and executed by making a blank text file on your
desktop and giving it an ".hta" extension then clicking its icon. Although
the main window of an HTA is technically Internet Explorer, the window that
appears has no default menu, toolbar or status bar. These "child windows"
however can be created for your HTA by using DHTML and scripting so that
your HTA looks like a normal Windows application. You can even create a
library of HTCs, or Hypertext Components, to act in place of the Windows
Common Control Library."</quote> See, ideal for popups and tons of yet to be
discovered nasty things. Never had an active scripting host, and that had
also never had an adverse effect.

'Everything web' includes worms, spyware and the like. Dunno, I prefer my
web a bit cleaner. Sandboxing is possible, just like anything web, by
running the browser in a citrix or terminal server box. They, being windows,
based might be compromised as well, so maybe a better idea is to run a java
based browser in a JVM and have it over with, use something like JREX or
Opera.  If corporate, you might prefer server side java.. Run the JVM on a
tomcat or websphere on nix or even use the old big iron, open a sandboxed
browser in a normal browser.....  et voila, a sandboxed browser. Some say
Tarantella might do the trick neatly, have not looked into that yet.

regards

Yossarian