Date: Wed Mar 15 18:47:03 2006
From: simon at snosoft.com (Simon Smith)
Subject: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall.

At last!
    Someone that understands! I realize that the network would be pretty
much in a hole at this stage of the game, no contest there. I'm just
thinking about how to better protect critical devices from this type of
internal attack (assuming the admin doesn't notice the cert changes and
all that good stuff.). So far, I've received a lot of flack for asking
this question but nothing useful (short of what you just wrote). I
understand the benefits of SSL, but I also understand (as most people
here don't seem to) that wrapping something insecure in something secure
doesn't make it secure, it just makes it more difficult to get at.

I want to protect the authentication information better than it is
currently being protected.

I like the idea of encrypting the authentication traffic within the SSL
session...

--

Regards,
	Adriel T. Desautels