Date: Wed Mar 15 18:50:02 2006
From: simon at snosoft.com (Simon Smith)
Subject: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall.

No Tim,
    I am not missing your point. It is me who is not being clear about
what I am asking hence why everyone is telling me one thing when I
really want to hear something else. I want to protect the authentication
data within the SSL session because I do not trust the HTTP BASIC auth
and I most certainly do not trust the end users to always do whats
right. I want a technology to protect the data, not a user who can be
social engineered into doing something wrong.

Tim wrote:
>>     As suspected... so I am correct; and it is a security threat. I can
>> compromise a network, arp poison it, MiTM, access the firewall,
>> distributed metastasis, presto... owned...
>>

> You are completely missing the point.  Did you read my first response?
>
> If you properly use your PKI, then doing a simple MitM attack, as you
> describe, is not possible without bells and whistles going off in your
> browser.
>
> There are plenty of SSL & PKI tutorials online.  I suggest you read
> some.

Regards,
	Adriel T. Desautels
	Harvard Security Group