Date: Sat Apr  1 20:44:19 2006
From: prb at lava.net (Peter Besenbruch)
Subject: Re: A Move to Remove

Steve Russell wrote:
> I *have* filtered the posts into another folder, and if I choose I
> can just delete all of those posts with one click. Doesn't mean I
> lack the choice to sometimes read one or two of them and indeed reply
> to any of them, I wonder why sometimes... Perhaps time for a new
> hobby...

A list like this needs filtering, regardless of the presence of trolls.
A lot of my filters target outfits like Gentoo, or Mandriva, not because
they are bad "citizens," but because I am not using their product.

As for the trolls, they get added as an extra to to my list filters. It
doesn't take long to recognize which people never contribute anything
positive. It's easy enough to do, and Full Disclosure becomes pretty
useful when you do that.

It's a lot like Usenet. Filters made the place usable. What people kept
forgetting was that one rule: Don't feed the troll. This is the first
"netdev" related thread on this list that I have seen in a while, and
for that I am grateful.
--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky