Date: Thu Apr  6 13:49:57 2006
From: cary at campbell.com (Cary Barker)
Subject: Help!

Danny,

Let's put your fears to rest.  Zone.Identifier ADS is related to the way
Windows tags files generated by Internet Explorer and Outlook when
saving content downloaded from different security zones (you know - the
Security tab under IE Internet Options).  This tag is then referenced
when Windows accesses a file to determine how 'safe' it is.  If the file
is an executable that you downloaded from the Internet, this tag will
cause Windows to toss up an "Internet Explorer - Security Warning"
dialog box stating the publisher could not be verified.  It will also
force you to click on "Run" in that same dialog box before the program
will execute (as opposed to simply running the program when you run an
executable from a CD).  The files you are referring to are not
executable, but they are tagged by IE regardless.

But don't take my work for all this - check out F-secure:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/zoneident.shtml

. . .and for more painful details, Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/security/szone/reference/objects/Pers
istentZoneIdentifier.asp

            -Cary

Cary Barker CISSP, GSEC, GSNA, GCWN, MCSE

Network Security Administrator

Campbell & Company, Inc.