Date: Tue Apr 11 22:24:11 2006
From: bmenrigh at ucsd.edu (Brandon Enright)
Subject: info on ip spoofing please

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 21:54 +0100, Ian stuart Turnbull wrote:
> Excellent response Brendon. Thanks heaps.
> I was reading the infamous Markoff / Tsutomu Shimomura attack at
> http://www.totse.com/en/hack/hack_attack/hacker03.html
>
> and I guess I assumed that as they did not know each other personally then
> Markoff must have found a way to locate 2 computers conversing with each
> other randomly? Perhaps this assumption was not correct?
> Though from the test it appears Markoff DID find a way of doing this - ie,
> finding 2 computers talking to each other NOT on his own LAN / network???

The attack you are referring to is known as an TCP sequence prediction
attack.  This sort of attack is not realistic with modern operating
system and TCP/IP stacks because they are careful to prevent predictable
TCP sequence numbers.

If you are curious how easy or hard a sequence attack against a machine
is, using Nmap with -O and -v you can have Nmap check the sequence
numbers and categorize them to some extent.

The output of a Windows XP machine (with either MS05-019 or SP2) looks
something like:

TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=truly random
                         Difficulty=9999999 (Good luck!)
IPID Sequence Generation: Incremental

Conversely, the Windows 98 stack has a difficulty of 1 (by Nmap
standards) which would make a sequence attack very possible.

Reasonable ingress and egress filtering coupled with modern TCP/IP
stacks makes sequence prediction attacks totally infeasible.

Brandon

--
Brandon Enright
Network Security Analyst