Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 17:45:04 -0400
From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry@...ryseltzer.com>
To: "Dave Aitel" <dave@...unityinc.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Windows .ANI LoadAniIcon Stack Overflow

I'm not familiar with Solar Eclipe's claims. I thought the low-entropy
argument was impeached a while ago. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_howard/archive/2006/10/04/Alleged-Bugs-in-
Windows-Vista_1920_s-ASLR-Implementation.aspx The author of the original
paper arguing low entropy replies to the blog conceding the point. There
are two stages of randomization.

Perhaps your exploit proves this wrong, but it's the last I heard on the
subject. And even if there are only 256 slots how do you try more than
one? Isn't the first wrong one going to crash the browser?

As for the exploits in protected mode I'm sure there are things you can
do, but it's a huge step down from what you can do in XP and it's gone
as soon as you exit IE7

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/