Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 22:40:08 +0100
From: "James (njan) Eaton-Lee" <james.mailing@...il.com>
To: Gary Warner <gar@...gar.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: WEEPING FOR WEP

Gary Warner wrote:

> I'm going through this one at work right now myself.  My team convinced
> me that we should use "WPA2" with TKIP for our new wireless service.
> Guess what?  Most Windows-controlled wireless laptops don't have an
> option to select WPA2 as their authentication protocol!  My team says
> "No problem, we can just have them download a more recent version of
> their driver and use the software that comes with their wireless card to
> manage their wireless instead of the windows client."
>
> ARRRGH!  *NOT* a valid answer!

I suspect whether this is a "most" or not depends a lot on your hardware
refresh cycle and what sort of kit you buy - if you've been buying Intel
Centrino kit, it all supports WPA (the ipw2100 may not, but everything
since then certainly does) so long as you've got the latest drivers and
the WPA2 Hotfix for XP.

I've implemented WPA2 Infrastructures recently, and the number of
laptops which haven't supported WPA2 is somewhere in the 10-15% range.
Oddly enough, we have two ipw2200-equipped Toshiba laptops which (even
after a full reinstall, and using identical drivers/firmware to machines
that do work) refuse to talk WPA2...

If you have older prism kit, or a chipset like atheros which is commonly
rebadged/resold, you may not have WPA2-compatible drivers/firmware for
the card even if the same chipset in other vendors' devices (or in
linux) supports WPA2.

Thankfully, at the current point in time, sporting the Wifi logo
requires WPA2 support so far as I'm aware, so anything you buy now
*should* support WPA2. I'm not sure when this requirement came into
effect, though..

  - James.

--
   James (njan) Eaton-Lee | UIN: 10807960 | http://www.jeremiad.org

    "All at sea again / And now my hurricanes
    Have brought down this ocean rain / To bathe me again"

  https://www.bsrf.org.uk | ca: https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3
--

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (3521 bytes)