Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400
From: "matthew wollenweber" <mwollenweber@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	dailydave <dailydave@...ts.immunitysec.com>
Subject: iPhone Roadblock

I'm one of the lucky (or possibly crazy) people that managed to get an
iPhone yesterday. If you're curious, I'm very happy with it so far. I'm not
an Apple nut that buys all things Apple, but after years of "smartphones"
that never seemed quite right, the iPhone really seems to have hit the mark.
My biggest worry was that it used Edge rather than 3G. While at some points
this is noticeable, the caching and windowing mechanisms really make up for
the difference. On the whole it's the best smartphone experience I've had.
But you can read all the reviews in a more appropriate forum...

I'm really interested in hacking up my iPhone. Anything with a *nix OS
underneath is just too tempting to leave alone. Unfortunately Apple threw a
curve ball that's outside my skill set. The iPhone doesn't mount as a
harddrive. I couldn't find any options in iTunes and in linux I only got:

Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 15
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: Product: iPhone
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: SerialNumber: XYZ123456789
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 3
choices

USB device drivers aren't my thing. Anyone have any suggestions on how to
get the thing mounted or to go about figuring out how to do so?

Thanks for any help.

--
Matthew  Wollenweber
mwollenweber@...il.com | mjw@...erwart.com