Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:15:12 -0500
From: "Joel R. Helgeson" <joel@...geson.com>
To: "'Simon Smith'" <simon@...soft.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: What do you guys make of this?

Short answer, no. The Russia of today has little resemblance of the Cold War
Russia. Putin is Ex-KGB and is somewhat waxing nostalgic for the way it used
to be. He wants to show the world that he deserves attention without acting
like a lunatic (like N. Korea).

Putin knows that his government will be viewed by history as being a
transitional government. It is Putin's goal to be remembered as the man who
saved Russia, to prove that the Russian people are a proud people, worthy of
respect and not to be underestimated.  And if Putin fails? Well, at least
the Vodka is still cheap!

He won't fail though. The world is a better place having them participate in
the global economy.

The circumstances that begat the cold war are no longer around. Remember, it
was the fax machine that caused Russia to collapse. Once the government
controlled newspapers lost their grip on the flow of information, they could
no longer manage the country. To counter the fax machine, Gorbachev
implemented Perestroika, which enabled the Russians to see how depraved
their economy was, and the regime collapsed shortly thereafter.

A friend & colleague who received his PhD in Russian studies was visiting
the USSR in the early 80's.  He said that he was in a park throwing a
Frisbee when he was approached by a police officer who told him he was
breaking the law and should stop if he didn't want to get arrested.  He
answered in perfect Russian, "How am I breaking the law? Where is the law
stating I cannot throw a Frisbee in the park on a warm sunny day." To which
the officer replied "Comrade, there is no law that states that you CAN throw
a Frisbee in the park."

He would further relate that in public, his friends would talk about
this-and-that, but in private, they all wanted to know "Is the United States
really going to nuke us?" He couldn't believe it because in the USSR, the
number one fear on the minds of every Russian was fear of nuclear
annihilation, while at the same time in the USA, the number one fear on the
minds of every American was public speaking... Literally!

So, no, this does not concern me. In fact, I think it's kinda cute.  That
silly Putin!

Regards,
Joel Helgeson