Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 01:27:55 -0800
From: coderman <coderman@...il.com>
To: "pdp (architect)" <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: authentic hackers still do it for the love
	... (was: Hell Camp: It never pays enough)

On Dec 2, 2007 12:48 AM, pdp (architect) <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com> wrote:
> ... you will find a way
> to be better off then anybody else without the need to break any laws ..

what does breaking the law have to do with this?

> there is one very old Chinese saying: "find a job that you love and you will
> never work for the rest of your life".

sure.  it takes a while to get there, don't you think?

> Being a technically talented person
> and spending your life as a poor sysadmin is plain stupid not to say
> completely unnecessary. Running away from money because you think that they
> will corrupt you or they will compromise your identity is also quite
> retarded to say, don't you think? money are just means to an end, a tool of
> trade, and sometimes this is exactly what you need in order to cross to the
> next level.

agreed.  perhaps i should have emphasized a path out, rather than destination...

> the problem I see is that hacking has become something that is not. the
> computer security hacker circles lost the sense of creativity and turned it
> into plain procedure. most, if not all, of the security vulnerabilities
> discovered today are discovered due to simple rules. you do this, you run
> that, you wait, you've got it. this is not hacking. given enough time,
> anybody can learn that. but embracing the mindset is something that a few
> can do.

this is what i suggested escaping, the mechanical substitute for what used
to be a creative and passionate endeavor.  escape from it, leave the
mechanical to something that pays the bills until you can find and enjoy
the "job you love where you never work another day in your life..."

if you can do this while mired in infosec whorey, more power to you.  the
admin / routine positions seem more accommodating to telecommute, flexible
schedule, and "free time" while giving the appearance of "working".

> btw, GC is currently running a project to show the reality of what I've juts
> said. it is still in very initial stage but it will get better with the
> time: hakiri.com

i'm watching and waiting...