Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 01:47:11 +0000 (UTC)
From: jf <jf@...glingpointers.net>
To: coderman <coderman@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: authentic hackers still do it for the love
 ... (was: Hell Camp: It never pays enough)

> sooner or later every authentic hacker discovers that you must
> separate work from play.

I really wish everyone would stop projecting their own world views and
insisting that in order for person A to be X you simply have to come to
the same conclusions and hold the same sets of beliefs that person B
did. In this case the noun is hacker, but the same
concept is fairly universal and happens a lot in politics as well.

Here is the simple truth, there is no underlying outlook,
background, dogma or set of ethics that define hacking. The only theme
that applies across the board is breaking computer security. Everything
else that you tie into the word is the projection of your own beliefs,
which is fine, I don't care what you believe, but don't pretend to speak
for me or to know what I'm thinking, in other words, don't put your shit
on me (or anyone else).

To sum up the point, let's say that you're I dunno southern baptist, you
don't presume that everyone else in the scene is also southern baptists,
so why do you presume to know my (or anyones) motives, ambitions, et
cetera?

> when you try and mix them both you
> betray the joy and fulfillment of hacking for a paycheck, and it
> never pays enough.

You're doing it wrong.