Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 05:52:12 -0700
From: Tremaine Lea <tremaine@...il.com>
To: Vincent Archer <varcher@...yall.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Save XP

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 10:28 +0100, Vincent Archer wrote:

<heavy handed snip>

> Windows survives on the strength of its application ecosystem, not
> because of any strength in the OS itself. That's true of any system;
> except for a few fanatics, you care about what applications you run,
> not what the system under them is.

I think you'd have to admit that strength is diminishing.  I run into a
heck of a lot more people running linux (usually Ubuntu) these days than
I did even 5 years ago.  While Windows has been pre-eminent for a long
time, a growing segment of people are tired of the security maintenance
and pains that come with running it, and are willing to tolerate lapses
in some areas if it means they aren't constantly having to worry about
webpages and emails causing them to lose all their data and Reinstall
Yet Again (tm)  I think there is a kind of battle weariness on the part
of the average pc user when it comes to Windows, and getting them to try
something new to provide a break from it is remarkably easy.

--
Tremaine Lea
Network Security Consultant

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (490 bytes)